Keto Puff Pastry!!!
Updated: Apr 17, 2021
SO MANY POSSIBILITIES!!!!!
I wanted a flaky, chewy pastry to be made into so many dishes and desserts. My mind is reeling with all the possibilities. I want to make a bunch of batches, just to have on hand to make whatever I come up with.
Just some things I've thought to make already:
Air Fried Puff Pastry Oreos
Chicken Pot Pie
Pigs in a Blanket
For this recipe post I made Keto Strawberry Cream Cheese Toaster Strudels. They looked beautiful and tasted delicious. The filling did burst out some but it was still delicious, flaky and chewy. I did more testing and found I lost less filling if I cut 3 slits in the top and froze for a few hours then baked. They tasted delicious either way, especially with the frosting drizzle. I would keep frosting on hand and frost after you warm them in the toaster oven, if you don't plan on eating them all at once!
I did another 6 batches since filming and writing trying to figure out the best way to keep the filling in. Cutting the slits help and I smooshed the edges together really well with my fingers and didn't use the fork. The jam oozes more than the cream cheese, I did some just cream cheese filled ones and they turned out great. Also cooked them at 450 for 14 minutes and only had a tiny bit of jam coming out! Also no leaking in the air fryer, prepped as above with slits and egg wash, 390 Air crisp on a parchment round in the fryer basket, 8 minutes, flip, 2 minutes.
Keto Puff Pastry
29 g Unflavored Isopure whey protein isolate (one packed scoop)
30 g Coconut Flour (1/4 Cup)
30 g Oat Fiber (Naturtonix is what I use) (1/4 Cup + 2 Tbs.)
1 tsp. Xanthan Gum
1 tsp. Gelatin
3 oz. Grated Butter (Frozen) (6 Tbs.)
6-8 Tbs. Ice Water
Pinch of salt
1. Grate the refrigerator cold butter with the big holes on a box grater and place into the freezer
2. Weight/measure all your dry ingredients and whisk to incorporate
3. Place a few ice cubes into a bowl and fill with a cup of cold water and grab a Tablespoon measuring spoon and a fork to mix the dough
4. Once the butter is frozen, scrape the butter into the dry ingredients with the fork and mix to coat the butter in the dry ingredients
5. Start by adding 5 Tablespoons of ice water into the bowl and mix with the fork, add ice water in small increments until there is only a little dry ingredients left at the bottom of the bowl and a dough has started to form
6. Now with your hands work all the ingredients together into a ball and place onto a piece of cling film, handling as little as possible to not warm or melt the butter chunks
7. Wrap in the plastic and form roughly into a thick rectangle then place in the freezer for 15 minutes or refrigerator for 30 minutes
8. Dust a wooden surface or dough mat with oat fiber along with a rolling pin and grab the dough out of the freezer
9. Roll the dough out into a rectangle about a 1/4 of an inch thick, having the dough the long way fold the short side of the dough down to the center and the short side of the dough up from the bottom to the center then fold the top onto the bottom fold like a book, should have 4 layers of dough (check out video for tutorial)
10. Repeat the above process again then freeze for 15-30 minutes and repeat the rolling and folding 2-3 more times, this gives nice flaky layers
11. After the last session of folds freeze for 30 minutes then use as desired, can wrap tight and freeze for 3 weeks thawing in the refrigerator before using or keep refrigerated for up to a week
12. Can roll out however thick you like, for the toaster strudels I did 1/16 in thick, for croissants a little thicker would be better. Bake at 450 degrees for 15-20 minutes depending on what you are baking
To make the toaster strudels I just made a big batch of keto strawberry jam. Then took out 3 Tbs. of the jam and added melted gelatin. I used 1/2 tsp. of gelatin bloomed in a teaspoon of water and microwaved it to melt then added it to the jam to make it stiffer. For keto strawberry jam check out this blog: https://www.ketoupgrade.info/post/the-best-keto-buttery-buttermilk-biscuits-coconut-flour-moist-and-fluffy-and-keto-strawberry-jam
For the cream cheese filling you will only need:
2 oz. Cream Cheese (softened)
1-2 Tbs. Powdered Keto Sweetener
1/2 tsp. Lemon Juice (optional)
1/4 tsp. Vanilla Extract
Just mix the cream cheese with the powdered sweetener then add vanilla and lemon. Place in a piping bag to make it easier to fill your strudels.
To Assemble Strudels: Mix 1 egg yolk with a teaspoon of water to seal and coat the strudels
1. Roll out the dough into a rectangle about a 1/16th inch thick, 13-14inches by 9 inches.
2. Cut into 12 small rectangles, egg wash the edges of one rectangle, place 1/2 Tablespoon of jam in the middle and pipe a strip of cream cheese on each side of the jam.
3. Place another rectangle on top and seal with a fork dipped into oat fiber so the fork doesn't stick. Make sure they are sealed very well
4. Transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet, repeat with the 5 other rectangles
5. Egg wash all of the toaster strudels, can cut 3 slits in the top which may keep more filling, if you have time to freeze or refrigerate for some time first you may keep more filling in also
6. Bake at 450 for 15-18 minutes until golden brown
For strudel frosting:
3 Tbs. Powdered Keto Sweetener
2 Tbs. Heavy Cream
1/4 tsp. Vanilla Extract
Whisk everything together until smooth. Frost all strudels once cool if eating all right away. If not store in the refrigerator and pop in the toaster oven for a few minutes then ice and enjoy.
Macros for 1 Toaster Strudel with 1/2 Tbs. Keto jam and 1/6th of the cream cheese filling with icing!
18 g Fat
13.5 g Total Carbs
11.1 g Fiber
2.4 g Net Carbs
7 g Protein